I am a sucker for rice and veggies, and a rice bowl is one of my favorite ways to have that combo. We have been making this Rice Bowl Recipe (with veggies and teriyaki chicken) for a while, so I wanted to share everything we have learned so you can make the perfect rice bowl for your family.
The key to having the best tasting rice and veggies bowl is going to be fresh ingredients. Freshly shredded carrots, chopped broccoli, diced zucchini squash, and if you want, chopped celery. I also love cooking noodles (spaghetti or linguini work great) and having half noodles, half rice with the cooked veggies and chicken on top covered in a delicious sauce.
Rice Bowl Recipe
Before you prep your veggies, you will want to start the rice cooking (I use a rice cooker), as well as the water boiling if you are going to serve this with noodles. I also recommended getting the chicken diced and cooking as that will take longer than the veggies.
Start by dicing the zucchini into slices and then quarters, chopping the broccoli, and then shredding the carrots. You can also use bagged shredded carrots to save time.
Next, you will put them into the pan with some oil and 1/4 cup of teriyaki sauce and cook over medium heat until the veggies are heated, but still crispy. I love to use my silicone tongs to mix and stir the veggies as they are cooking.
Put your Rice Bowl together
With the chicken cooked and the rice, noodles, and veggies all cooked, now you can start assembling your bowls. If you want to cook the chicken and then add it to the veggies you can do that. Or you can serve it on the side. We have tried it both ways. I personally like it separately but it tastes great either way.
If your family likes beans, heat some red beans and add them to the bowls. It tastes good, and for people like myself who don’t like a lot of meat, it adds some extra protein.
I fill half the bowl with rice and the other half with noodles, and then I put some of the chicken and veggies on top. You can add some sauce, or serve them like this and let everyone add their own sauce (which is what I do). You can use teriyaki, orange sauce, or any other that you like.
This Rice Bowl Recipe, with veggies and teriyaki chicken, is so easy to make and we can usually have it ready from start to finish in about 30 minutes or less, so it’s great for a quick meal on a busy night.
- 2 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 lb Freshly shredded or diced carrots
- 1 lb chopped broccoli
- 2 lbs diced zucchini squash
- 1.5 lbs of angel hair pasta, cooked al dante
- 2 cups of rice cooked
- Teriyaki Sauce
- Butter (for cooking veggies and chicken)
- If you choose to do rice, start it cooking now
- Heat up two pans over medium heat and slice 2 tbsp of butter into each one
- Dice up chicken and put it into one pan and drizzle 1/2 cup of teriyaki sauce and stir
- Dice up carrots, zucchini, and broccoli and put them into the other pan
- Once the veggies are cooked (still crisp, but tender) remove the pan from the stove
- Boil water and cook pasta al dante
- With all the food cooked (make sure the chicken is cooked to 165 degrees) you will assemble the bowls. Add the noodles and or rice first, then layer veggies on one side and chicken on the other. You will top it with more teriyaki sauce as desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 584Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 134mgSodium: 327mgCarbohydrates: 65gFiber: 8gSugar: 8gProtein: 59g
Save for later
Be sure to pin the image below to save this to your recipe board.
Other Meal Ideas
Looking for other great easy meal ideas? Check these out: