My kids love being outside having fun, but there are days that we just need (or have) to stay in and want to have fun things to try. So we made a big list of fun indoor activities for kids and they got so excited. Sometimes I feel like a failure as a mom because I am just like – read a book or play UNO – which is great for a little while, but not for an extended period of time. I forget that unlike myself, they don’t want to spend a whole day reading (looking forward to 30 years from now when I can do that – but then I will be too old to see the words or I will fall asleep from a medication I am sure I will be taking, lol).
Anyways. So since we have had such cold weather and the kids like all of their toes and fingers attached, we decided to have some fun inside days and did a lot of fun crafts. I wanted to share a couple of them with you and several others that we found and love and want to try soon.
The first one we did was this fun “I AM” picture where they got to draw a picture (or use the printable girl or boy below) of themselves, and then they added words from some old magazines that we found and I left a space on it so they could write a note there. It is to encourage themselves to realize how special they are and their self worth. I love these printable boy and girl pictures that we found and my kids liked coloring them and decorating them as well. I love how this turned out and how easy it was. It took up about an hour – you can stretch it out or shorten it depending on what you are doing.
Another one we did was make snowmen out of socks. This was easy to do and the kids loved it. You can use socks (depending on the size you can use any size sock. I like the size of the adult women ankle socks so that is what we used. Honestly you can get different sizes of socks and make them according to your family.
Sock Snowman Craft
Other indoor activities for kids that we found and are trying soon are:
Paperclip Ribbon Bookmarks
I love this idea! Use a fun paper clip, attach ribbon, and then attach the paper clip to the front page of the book and use the ribbon to mark the pages. So much easier.
Homemade Rain Stick
Using a paper towel tube, duck tape, rice and a pipe cleaner, you can make a rain stick with your kids!
Handprint Stegosaurus Craft
Easy to make with this printable dinosaur and the kids use their hands to make the spikes.
Homemade Glow in the Dark “Pixie Dust”
Make your own glow in the dark pixie dust jar. Fun and easy for your kids.
- Make a fort
- Play musical chairs
- Make a book by cutting up magazines and using pictures and words, then have the kids write a story.
- Use tape to mark lines on the floor like a balance beam, hopscotch and more
- Plan a fun movie night and make a snack before hand
- Make cookies or another favorite snack together
- Sew a bag together
- Make a no-sew pillow or blanket (by tying the fabric)
- Have a karaoke contest
- Play with LEGOS or blocks
- Make a fun craft like a snowman, handprint flowers, or let them choose.
- Do loom knitting and make gifts for others.
- Cross Stitching
- Have a dance off (complete with costumes)
- Play board games or card games
- For girls – have a “salon” night. Paint nails, skin care and hair.
- Play the Wii (or other game system). We love Mario Kart!
- Make a treasure hunt (with clues)
- Use beads to make a necklace or bracelet
- Make your own movie
These are just a few of the fun things you can do! I would also love to hear your ideas for Indoor Activities for Kids!