DIY: Interactive Chore Chart and Organizer
With my kids getting old enough to help with most of the chores and responsibilities of the house, I have decided to create a way for them for have fun and have a choice. My answer is an Interactive Chore Chart. I took a piece of poster board and cut it into about a 14 inch width then folded it over and tapped it together. I added pockets to the front, helped the kids decorate it with stickers and then we make folders for the inside to track their progress and a cup to hold the sticks with the chores on them.
So far it has worked out very well. Each kid picks out three chores for the week – and as they do those chores and the other daily chores (like brush teeth) then they get to mark it. If they do an acceptable amount then they earn a sticker. When they earn 14 stickers then they get to pick a special treat or toy ($1 or less). Since they are young they are happy with this. As they get older we can adapt it to having them earn allowance money.
This method has worked well for us because we have them pick their three chores for the week and they get the hang of it (even if I have to nag a little to get it done some times lol) but then they look forward to being able to pick new chores. That way they don’t feel stuck. I don’t let them pick any one of the three they had the week before so it won’t get repetitive.
The chores we choose to put on the sticks are:
- Pick up toys
- Put Dishes in Dishwasher
- Wash Kitchen Counters
- Make Dinner (this is a help me thing but they love it)
- Wash Windows
- Help with laundry
- Clean bathroom
- Take Dishes out
- Water Plants/Flowers
- Wash Kitchen Table
- Feed/Water Pets
There are so many more but as my kids get bigger we will add things. Here are other great ideas for Chore Charts for kids:
1. Interactive Chore Chart for Kids https://lovebugsandpostcards.com
2. Staying Organized Throughout the School Year from http://www.simpleasthatblog.com/
3. The Chore Chart from http://freshcutsbylu.wordpress.com
4. Chore Charts from http://theunsophisticatedartist.wordpress.com
5. DIY Clothespin Chore Chart from http://eclecticrecipes.com
6. The Best Chore Chart Strategy Ever from http://casselljourneytoafrica.blogspot.com
7. Chore Chart from http://amylenn.blogspot.com