This post is brought to you by Oriental Trading Co. All opinions are my own. I love Christmastime. The lights, decor, and feelings of gratitude make my heart happy. I love decorating my house, and part of that is with DIY projects. Today, I tried something new with the supplies that we got from Oriental Trading and I absolutely LOVE how they turned out. We made a DIY Christmas Cone Tree with burlap, glitter, bells and grapevine. We also used a Jingle Bells necklace as decor on one. All of my kids asked me to make them their own trees to put in their rooms, so I will be working on that this week
Today I want to share this tutorial with you so you can make your own DIY Christmas Cone Tree. For this project you will need:
- Cardboard Cones
- Wide Natural Burlap
- Jingle Bell Bead Necklaces
- Jingle Bell Charms (you can use them from one of the jingle bell crafts)
- Silver Glitter
- Hot glue gun and extra sticks
- Popsicle stick or something similar (to push the burlap into the hot glue)
- Paper plates to work on
To put them together here are the steps:
- Take your burlap and cut it into strips. If you have the 6″ wide burlap, cut it into 4 equal widths (about 1.5″ each) and about 2 feet long.
- Take the cone and start at the top and put a dab of hot glue, then attach a piece of the burlap.
- Starting with the glue, make a short trail, and then follow with the burlap.
- Keep wrapping it around the cone until you get to the bottom. Trim off the excess and start over at the top.
- It will take several rounds of gluing and wrapping the burlap around the cone to get it covered.
- Once you have the cone covered in burlap, you can do two different things…
- Take the glitter and sprinkle it over the whole thing, then tap off the excess. Or paint the burlap with Mod Podge and then sprinkle with glitter. The first will give it a more natural look, and the other will give it a more flocked look.
- Now you can glue the grapevine, bells and other decorations on the tree to your taste.
Note: At the top, I used a strand of the burlap to tie the grapevine so it would stay.
These are easy to make and a lot of fun because you can decorate them how you want to match your decor. Get the supplies you need to make this and all your other fun craft and party projects on www.OrientalTrading.com.