Having a Christmas Breakfast Casserole is something new we are doing this year! We have always had a yummy Christmas morning breakfast, but I have never taken the time to actually prepare anything the night before. This year, I am going to. We already have wrapped most of the presents, so that will not occupy our Christmas eve night this year, so we can use that time for other times (like sleeping…lol). Here are a couple of recipes I thought looked yummy and I think we are going to do the sausage one since that is what we have and its snowing like crazy so there is no way we will get to the store. They both look really good though!
HAM AND CHEESE CHRISTMAS BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes
Ready In: 9 Hours 15 Minutes
- 18 (1 ounce) slices white bread, cubed
- 8 ounces cooked ham, cubed
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups diced Swiss cheese
- 6 eggs
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cups crushed cornflakes cereal
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- Lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking dish. Line the bottom of the dish with half the bread cubes. Sprinkle with ham, Cheddar cheese, and Swiss cheese, and top with remaining bread. In a bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, and onion powder. Pour evenly over bread. Cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). In a small bowl, blend the crushed cornflakes and melted butter. Spread evenly over the casserole.
- Bake 40 minutes in the preheated oven, or until bubbly and golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving
SAUSAGE CHRISTMAS BREAKFAST CASSEROLE
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour 30 Minutes
Ready In: 9 Hours 50 Minutes
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 6 slices white bread, toasted and cut into cubes
- 8 ounces mild Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Crumble sausage into a medium skillet. Cook over medium heat until evenly brown; drain.
- In a medium bowl, mix together mustard powder, salt, eggs and milk. Add the sausage, bread cubes, and cheese, and stir to coat evenly. Pour into a greased 9×13 inch baking dish. Cover, and chill in the refrigerator for 8 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Cover, and bake 45 to 60 minutes. Uncover, and reduce temperature to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until set