I love my job. I get to be home with my kids all day, set my own hours, and experience so many amazing things. What I don’t love is that I am not as active as I used to be. I don’t eat as good as I should because it is easier to reach for a few cookies while I am working then get up and prepare a healthy meal. There are so many excuses that I give myself, and I am realizing that that is all they are…excuses. I need to take better control of my life, my healthy and my habits – and so I did just that. I now have a game plan. I have written a list of things that will help me maintain a healthy lifestyle while I work at my desk. I am exercising more, eating better and not only do I have more energy, I am more focused and happier. Want to know how? (keep reading)
As I realized what I wanted to change about myself, I started making little adjustments. I stop bringing unhealthy snacks to my work space. I filled my bottle with water instead of juice or soda. I made sure that I had a healthy meal for lunch (my favorites are Healthy Choice Simply Café Steamers). They have no artificial ingredients and more than 18 grams of 100% natural proteins. I also love that they are all under 310 calories. I can have one for lunch and feel good about my meal choice. A few of my meals this weeks consisted of Meatball Marinara, Chicken Fried Rice, Grilled Chicken & Broccoli Alfredo, Chicken & Vegetable Stir Fry and Grilled Pesto & Vegetables. I cooked them in the microwave, and the exclusive tray-in-tray steam cooking made the vegetables crisp and all of the ingredients were fresh and delicious. A difference you can see and taste!
I mentioned a few things above, but I wanted to list out 5 ways to maintain a healthy lifestyle when you work a desk job so you can make changes and start living a healthier lifestyle as well.
- Exercise 4-5 times a week. No exceptions – no excuses. You can go for a walk, jump on the treadmill, go to a yoga class, etc. There are so many options. Just get out and get active for at least 45 minutes a day.
- Drink water. Drink a big glass before each meal. Drink at least 8 glasses throughout the day. Keep a bottle of it with you all the time. Hydration is so essential to having energy and being productive.
- Grab a bag and put all of your “snack food” into it and get rid of it. Get it out of your reach, out of the house, office, building 🙂 And replace it with healthy snacks like certain nuts, fruits, veggies, etc. Moderate how much you are eating – but remember things like carrots, cauliflower, etc you can eat as much as you want and they are really good for you!
- A good breakfast is essential, but make sure you have a healthy lunch. This will power you through the rest of your workday and give you the energy you need to be productive and feel good and help keep you from snacking. (Keep some of the Healthy Choice Café Steamers on hand – Healthy Choice is the only major brand in the frozen meals section that can call 100% of its products “healthy” as approved by the FDA).
- Set goals. Write them down and find someone to hold you accountable. When you know what you are working towards, then you will achieve your goals. Just developing a healthier lifestyle will change so much. You will have more energy, sleep better, be more active and be happier.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.