This is post is brought to you by SheSpeaks/MARS. I am sharing 10 ways to relax as a busy mom.
Being a mom is a tough job. 24-7-365. I love my babies and so for me it is part of who I am…mom. But I still need to know that I have me time. Everyday there is cleaning, cooking, working, cleaning, cooking, running to sports and music practices, cleaning and cooking, shopping, working, and did I mention cleaning? I feel like I am being pulled in a million directions all the time and I hardly take time to relax. This can be bad for everyone because then I get grouchy and temperamental, That is never great for anyone – so I have been making goals for myself to make sure that I find ways to relax as a busy mom. This isn’t always easy, but my kids have been great to help more and I have been able to realize I don’t need to feel guilty about taking 30 minutes for myself.
There so are many different ways you can find relaxation as a mom, but very often we don’t get the chance or don’t take the chance to relax. This has been my biggest challenge. I want to share some of the things I have learned and what has worked for me and what hasn’t. With four kids, life is crazy. There is just no other way to put it. Keeping things in order takes time and energy, and I gladly do it, over and over and over in hopes that things will someday stay that way. I have a feeling my house will never really be clean again until all my kids have moved out – but I am OK with that. We have fun and play and live.
But I still need to take time to relax – so I want to share 10 ways you can relax as a busy mom…
- Put the kids to bed a little earlier and spend time watching a favorite TV show, movie or spending time with your hubby
- Take a break during the day (maybe over lunch) and spend time reading
- Take a nap (maybe even with your kids)
- Get your better half to watch the kids and have a girls night out with some of your friends
- Go get a mani/pedi, do some (inexpensive) shopping, or go out to lunch
- Find something you love (like cooking, sewing, crafting, etc) and spend time doing it every day
- Make a schedule so that you can manage your time better
- Have some “special” snacks on hand that you can treat yourself with when you take a break
- Make a chore chart for your kids/family so that everyone is helping equally with the household responsibilities
- Exercise/go for a walk to clear your mind
As a mother I want to tell you, take time for yourself. You will be happier and find great joy in everything. Remember that it doesn’t last forever and to enjoy the crazy roller-coaster that you are on. Before you know it, the ride will be over and you will wonder where the time went. I am enjoying every crazy minute, even if it makes me a little crazy in the meantime 😉
One of my favorite treats is the new SNICKERS Crisper. It helps me return to some form of normalcy after a crazy stressful day. It gives me a boost and gets me smiling again. I pick these up at Walmart when I am shopping (of course I love to snack on one on the way home). They are only 100 calories and I like getting the fun size bag so that I can share them with my kiddos and hubby. Find something in your life that you love and take the time to enjoy it for you. Time time for yourself, but make sure that you are not sacrificing time with your family and missing important things.
What makes you feel like a “person” again when you lose yourself in “angry mom” mode? I would love to hear how you deal with the stresses of being a mom.