Summer is a great time of the year. It’s warm and green and that means that I can make my kids go outside to play. This not only keeps my house cleaner ( 😉 ) but it also keeps them active and busy. While I understand the need to watch a movie or play a video game, I am a firm believer in keeping my kids active and healthy through outdoor activities. As a family we plan trips to go hiking and camping, biking, fishing, boating and many other things. Many of these can be done for free or very inexpensively. When we make a list of Summer Activity Ideas – I like to let my kids help – and then they get even more excited when we choose something that they have picked.
I like to keep my kids busy so that they can have fun things to do, but so that they can grow and learn. All of the places we have been and things we have done, have given them experiences they will remember and can learn from. I wanted to share some of our favorite summer activities with you, so I made this fun list of Summer Activity Ideas for Kids. We plan at least one “big” activity a week, and then we always have several smaller ones that can be done around the house or neighborhood. I would love to hear your ideas and what you do as well so that I can incorporate them into what we have planned.
Here are some of our Summer Activity Ideas:
- Camping (can be at a campground or primitive)
- Have your kids help in the yard pulling weeds and other thing in exchange for treats or a small allowance
- Go Fishing (even if you don’t like it that much, I bet your kids will)
- Plan a Hike (or five or six). We don’t realize how many places there are around us close to home where we can go hiking.
- Go biking. Find some local trails and take your kids out for a ride
- Play at the Lake or reservoir for the day (take a picnic full of yummy healthy snacks and lots of water)
- Go to the park and play soccer or catch
- Go on a nature walk and make a list of things that you have to find along the way
- Go swimming or play in the sprinklers
- Watercolor or paint
- Photography – Get your kid an inexpensive (but still nicer) camera and take them out to some beautiful nature spots so they can practice their photography skills.
With our summer in full swing we have already planned a lot of fun activities for this summer. One thing that is coming up this weekend is the the Horizon’s Organic Kids Adventure Games. This is series of challenges that kids (in teams of 2) get to race through. Challenges include fun activities like Zip Line, Slip and Slide, Tyrolean Traverse, Rappel, Tarzan Swing, Cargo Net, Water Bridge, and more. I really can’t wait to see my two oldest girls (ages 6 and 9) participate in this. It is going to be an experience that they will never forget. Horizon Organic is a name you already know and the provider of yummy organic milk, cheese, and other dairy products. Let them help you have a healthy summer by giving you tools for nutritious and healthy snacks.
Snowbird, UT: June 20-21
Squaw Valley, CA: June 27-28
Mt. Hood, OR: July 5-6
Stowe, VT: July 25-26
Mammoth Mountain, CA: August 1-2
Vail, CO: August 7-10
Big Sky, MT: August 22-23
Sun Valley, ID: August 30-31
There are several opportunities for you to get your kids involved and outside during the summer! Keep them active and stay involved so that you can build great family relationships as well as be there to help them learn and grow. Feed them healthy snacks from Horizon Organic and lots of water to stay hydrated.
Visit www.kidsadventuregames.com to learn more about the Kids Adventure Games and get your kids signed up for the best weekend they will have this summer! There are so many Summer Activity Ideas – from outdoor activities to indoor – so keep a list and add to it as you think of things.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Horizon Organic. The opinions and text are all mine.