We received a Safety 1st Grow and Go Air 3-in-1 Car Seat in order to do this review. All opinions are 100% my own.
Okay, last week I looked in my back seat to find my 18-month-old covered in cottony fuzz…”uh…where did that come from?” Upon further investigation, I realized she had ripped a hole in the fabric of our Britax Roundabout car seat (which I love) and was pulling out all the filling! As we are expecting my fourth child in May and I haven’t bought a new car seat in… too many years (we get hand-me-downs with a little life left), I decided it was about time to turn in the rags and find something a little less..holey!
Now I’m cheap…but this is my kids saftey…surely there must be an in between. Enter the Safety 1st Grow and Go Air 3-in-1 Car Seat. Reasonably priced at about $150 on Amazon right now, this seat is designed to be the one and only for your child starting at rear-facing, forward-facing and then a booster seat (up to 100lbs)! Sounded pretty darn good to be true and I had a ton of doubts, but having a 6, 4, and 1 year old, I was able to make what I would deem a thorough assessment.
I have to say I really like this car seat. It is light weight (~18lbs)but feels decently durable and I like the material (I can wipe up most spills with a wet one). Here’s some of my favorite features:
- The car seat built to GROW for extended use through 3 stages: Rear-facing 5-40 pounds, Forward-facing 22-65 pounds, and Belt-positioning booster 40-100 pounds
- Superior safety with Air Protect®, an advanced cushion system that provides extra protection
- A snap to clean! Machine washable and dryer safe seat pad, unsnaps and lifts away quickly from the seat frame for truly easy cleaning
- Harness holders: with the harness held back, it’s easy to get your child in and out of the seat
- Grow-with-baby pillows for a comfortable ride
- QuickFit™ Harness for easy adjustment of both harness and headrest in one simple step
- 3-position recline makes it easy to get a good fit in your car
- Takes up less space in the back seat, for up to 7 inches of extra room in the front
- 2 integrated cup holders
- Exceeds Federal Safety Standards
I also love how easy it is to move the head rest up and down. It literally took 10 minutes to adjust this seat to all three children! I’m sure I could do it faster now that I know how. Oh yea, and I love that the little pads on the straps come off with velcro so you don’t have to take out the whole strap from behind!
Like everything however, there are a few things I wish were different. It is a big seat (which I would expect if it can fit up to 100lbs), but I drive a Honda Pilot, so it wasn’t an issue for me. I can see it being an issue if I had to put it in a smaller sedan or along side other car seats. Also, the cup holders are not removeable. This can be a pro and a con. I like that my older kids can’t take them out and mess with them, but I usually don’t even use these anyway, so for me they just take up important space and can get in the way when I put the seat in the car or manuveur it in any way. The belts themselves also seem to get twisted pretty easily, although this seems to be a problem in most of the car seats I’ve used. I wish they used a bit thicker strap to the buckle would hold it’s position better.
Overall, I’m excited to use this car seat and see how it measures up with a newborn. In my opinion that can be a hard size to work with.
Here’s some pictures of my kids in it, so you can get a better feel for the size.
You can learn more about the
WEBSITE | https://www.safety1st.com
FACEBOOK | https://www.facebook.com/safety1st
TWITTER | https://twitter.com/safety1st
What are your favorite features of this new car seat?