I have been married for more than 10 years now, and I am happy to report that my marriage is healthy and happy. I wouldn’t lie to you and tell you that it is perfect every hour of every day. As with any relationship, it has to be nurtured, cared for, and given attention to. Where am I going with this? My point is – its the little things in our lives that make a difference. My husband doesn’t have to bring me flowers every night on his way home from work to show me he cares – I enjoy the tender affections (kisses) he gives me and the hug letting me know that he missed me and is glad to see me. I return them completely because I truly do miss him after he has been gone to work all day.
If you want to make your relationship stronger with anyone, take a step back and look at the foundation. What is it built on? Start to pay attention to the little things, the things that let’s them know you are thinking about them, care for them and want the best for them and you will start to see a major difference.
Here are some ideas of things you can do:
- Leave little notes for your spouse to find in their briefcase or lunchbox at work
- Email or call them to tell them about something exciting
- Confide everything in them (let them become your best friend)
- Be affectionate and intimate
- Hold hands
- Say “I Love You” daily
- Do things together (and don’t complain even if its not your thing)
- Have date nights (especially important if you have kids or you both work a lot)
- Help each other
- Write notes or cards to each other
- Make goals together
- Read a book together
- Go on walks
There are so many things that you can do. Just remember that it takes work, but that it is worth it.
What tips do you have?