As a mother of four, I often find myself overwhelmed and feeling behind. Because of this I feel like I shouldn’t take time for myself so I often work through even when I feel burned out or in need of a break. This is a bad cycle to get into and over time I have realized that when I take a 10 minute break at least once a day 😉 I feel more rejuvenated, I am more productive and even more patient with my kids. I love them to pieces, and when I see myself starting to be snippy or impatient, I know that it is time for a break. This is when I grab my tablet or phone, a drink and a snack (usually milk and cookies) and find a quiet place. This 10 minutes I take for myself helps beyond belief and is something everyone (kids or not) needs to do everyday.
Here are 5 ways to take 10 minutes for yourself everyday:
- Find something you love reading and make it a point to read it for at least 10 minutes. A great place to find reading material is Texture. They have a huge variety of magazines all in one place, and you can even download them to your device for reading while offline.
- Find a place at work or home (or both) where you can relax and have peace and quite. If you like candles, light a candle, turn on some music, and just be. You can write in a journal, make a list of things to do to help clear your mind, meditate, stretch or even do Yoga.
- Find a close friend and visit if you like sharing your self vocally. If you feel like you just want someone to listen, call or visit a friend who will do that for you and let it all out. Enjoy a cup of cocoa together and laugh about your day.
- Planning out your day will allow you to accomplish more in less time because you have a clear list of what you need to do. If you see what you need to do and get it done, it will leave you with more time for other things (like taking 10 minutes for yourself) or getting a head start on things for tomorrow.
- Take time to pamper yourself. In ten minutes you can paint your nails, fix your hair, do a mini-facial and many other things. If you like those things, take the time to do them so that you can feel better about yourself and have a break.
These are just a few of the ways you can take time for yourself. It is important as a mother, friend, spouse, co-worker and woman to be at our best, and by taking time for yourself you are confirming the fact that you deserve it. I love reading and that is often my outlet when I get stressed or overwhelmed. I like to get lost in “other worlds” and forget about my own for a while. I also love reading and having my kids read their books next to me, and we get to still be together, but I am getting my 10 minutes (or more 😉 ) of time for me. I also love taking my tablet with me and reading on the go and while we are vacationing. (this is where Texture comes in handy).
Want to know why I love Texture? Sign up for a 30-day free trial. It includes:
- Unlimited access to all monthly magazines, including Esquire, Fortune, Glamour, National Geographic, Men’s Health, Wired, and more
- Unlimited access to all weekly magazines (Premium free trial only)
- Access to all back issues
- The Texture app is available on iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and iPad mini using iOS 7.0 and up, devices using Android 4.0 and up, and Windows 8 and Windows RT PCs and tablets
- Get access on up to 5 devices per account
- There’s no commitment, you can cancel your account online at any time
- Anyone who starts a free trial in October will be entered to win amazing prizes all month long, just for signing up for and reading in the app.
The free trial is available to new users only through November 30, 2015. After your free 30 days are up, the cost is $14.99 per month.
What do you do to take time for yourself?
This post is brought to you by coupons.com. All opinions are 100% my own.