Saving money is something everyone wants to do, but a lot of people feel like they can’t find it in their budget. In some circumstances this is true, but in most cases, you will be able to evaluate your spending habits and turn them into money saving habits instead.
- Get rid of Cable or Satellite TV
- Get rid of your home phone if you have cell phones
- Use Cash to pay for everything
- Put at least 10% into savings every paycheck (and leave it there)
- Carpool, ride a bike, or get a bus pass
- Cook at home (make a meal plan, create a shopping list from that plan, then go shopping)
- Do your budget weekly
- Pay your bills on time
- If you use a credit card, pay it off every month
- Avoid having more than 1 payment (besides a house) at a time. (like cars, trailers, ATV’s, bikes, etc).
- Only go to the store once a week. Make a list to take with you and stick to it.
- Eat before you go grocery shopping
- Use coupons when you can (on items that are ALREADY on sale)
- Evaluate your cell phone usage and cut down on your plan (or go to a cheap unlimited plan like T-Mobile)
- Do your own Mani/Pedi’s at home
- Drink tap water (if it is from a good source)
- Grow your own fruits and veggies
- Do your own yard and house work
- Check to see if you are getting charged fees at your bank, and switch to free checking (or go to a Credit Union).
- Keep track of what you spend
- Take leftovers with you to work instead of eating out
- Sell unused items around your house
- Evaluate your car insurance and get quotes from different companies
- Have a “Holiday” savings fund you put into every month for Birthdays and Christmas
- Shop clearance, sales, and consignment stores for clothes and many other items
If you have any Money Saving Habits you would like to share I would love to add them to the list.
Other posts about Money Saving Habits: