Homemade Chocolate Bon Bons
Valentines Day always gets me in the mood for homemade chocolate Bon Bons, and that is what got me craving these, but really they are good anytime and for any occasion! They are really easy to make and even fun for your kids to help with.
- 2 cups of Peanut Butter (I use the chunky kind)
- 3/4 cup or butter or shortening
- 4 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
- 3 cups of crispy rice cereal
- 2 bags of chocolate chips (or same amount of chocolate bars)
- In a large bowl, mix together the powdered sugar and crispy rice cereal
- In a microwave safe bowl, add peanut butter and butter/shortening together. Heat for 30 seconds at a time, stirring until warm and smooth.
- Pour the peanut butter mixture over the crispy rice mixture and stir together until well blended. You may need to use your hands, but be careful not to get burned.
- Line a cookie sheet with wax paper and then take tablespoonfuls (or however big you want them to be) and roll them into balls (or whatever shape you want). When the pan is full (one layer) put it in the fridge or a cool place to chill while you prepare the chocolate. You will want to make all of the balls at once before it cools of and it hard to mold together.
- Use the microwave safe bowl and put in one bag of the chocolate chips. Heat for 30 seconds at a time, stirring until warm and smooth.
- Take the peanut butter balls and dip them into the chocolate. I have found the easiest way to do this is by just dropping them in and using a fork to lift them out onto the waxed paper lined cookie sheet. Let the chocolate set and then enjoy.
These are best kept refrigerated.
You can keep the plain peanut butter balls in the fridge for a few weeks, and the chocolate covered ones as well.
I was able to get about 60 golf ball sized bon bons out of this recipe. I was glad to have my kids help me make the peanut butter balls!