I have three of my four kids in school this year. I think that is crazy – how fast they are growing and how fast time is going by. The beginning of the school year can be tough on everyone, but especially the kids as they go to new classes with new teachers, new students and an unfamiliar room and try to relax and learn and enjoy everything. It can take a few hours or a few weeks or even a few months. Over the years I have learned how to help kids transition to school easier so they can enjoy the time there both academically and socially.
5 ways to help kids transition to school easier:
- Walk with them to their classroom and meet their teacher and other students. This should be done ahead of time or first thing on the first day of school. They get to take in their new surroundings while I am there, without being overbearing or hovering.
- Leave notes from the parents and other siblings that encourage them. You can put these in their lunch boxes, backpack, notebooks, planners, etc. You can make your own, or print out some really amazing and cute ones here.
- Always take the time to listen to them about their day. This will be essential in communicating and learning if there is any trouble at school and how their days are going. Sometimes they just want someone to listen without getting a lot of opinions back, so keep that in mind.
- Let your kids have playdates with kids from their school so that they can develop a good friendship and have that connection to help buffer any hard times they may encounter at school.
- Develop a Routine – During school, you will want to have a routine. Getting up at a specific time, breakfast, and other morning rituals, after school homework, chores, reading, etc. This will help a lot and get them used to doing what needs to get done.
We are excited to be part of an amazing giveaway! We are offering up a $300 Amazon gift card through September 30 (ends at 11:59pm EST). Open to US residents, age 18 or older only.
This post is brought to you by coupons.com. All opinions are 100% our own.