I love camping. We spend a lot of time outdoors and have made many different recipes. These meal ideas for camping are delicious and easy to customize. Some of our favorites include foil packet dinners, stews, chicken, potatoes, pancakes, etc. Check out the list below for even more ideas!
Meal ideas for camping
- Campfire Skewers:
- Prepare skewers with your favorite meat (chicken, beef, shrimp) and veggies (bell peppers, onions, cherry tomatoes).
- Marinate the skewers in a simple sauce (olive oil, garlic, herbs, salt, and pepper) before leaving for the trip.
- Cook the skewers over the campfire for a tasty and convenient meal.
- Foil Packet Dinners:
- Create individual foil packets with your choice of protein (fish, chicken, tofu) and veggies (potatoes, carrots, zucchini).
- Add seasoning and a little bit of oil or butter to the packets.
- Place the foil packets on hot coals or a grate over the campfire and cook until everything is tender and cooked through.
- One-Pot Pasta:
- In a large pot, combine pasta, canned tomatoes, water, chopped vegetables (spinach, bell peppers), and your choice of protein (canned tuna, sausage slices).
- Season with salt, pepper, and Italian herbs.
- Cook everything in one pot over the camp stove until the pasta is cooked and the sauce is thickened.
- Campfire Breakfast Burritos:
- Pre-cook some breakfast sausage, scrambled eggs, and diced potatoes at home.
- Pack the cooked ingredients into resealable bags or containers.
- At the campsite, warm up the ingredients in a pan, add shredded cheese, and wrap everything in tortillas for delicious breakfast burritos.
- Campfire Quesadillas:
- Prepare your favorite quesadilla fillings, such as cheese, cooked chicken, black beans, and salsa.
- Place the filling between two tortillas and wrap the quesadilla in foil.
- Cook the foil-wrapped quesadilla over the campfire until the cheese is melted.
- Campfire Pizza:
- Pre-make pizza dough at home or buy pre-made dough from the store.
- Pack pizza sauce, shredded cheese, and your favorite toppings (pepperoni, mushrooms, onions).
- Stretch the dough, add sauce, cheese, and toppings, then cook the pizza on a grate over the campfire.
- DIY Trail Mix Bar:
- Set up a trail mix bar with various nuts, dried fruits, chocolate chips, and other mix-ins.
- Let everyone create their own personalized trail mix for a quick and energy-boosting snack.
Remember to consider any dietary restrictions or preferences of your camping group when planning these meals. And, to make things easier, pre-chop and prepare ingredients at home whenever possible. I like to make sure anything that has to be baked (like biscuits for biscuits and gravy) is done ahead of time before you leave home. If you want sloppy joes, you can make the meat/sauce, freeze it, put it in the cooler, and then just heat it. All of these tips will save a lot of time.