Last winter we took our kids up by Logan, Utah to visit Hardware Ranch. It was such a fun experience. I had only been one other time, about 10 years ago and so I couldn’t wait to go back. We had a great time and if you can fit it into your travel plans, a place you will want to visit while you are in the area.
The actual address is Hardware Ranch, Blacksmith Fork Canyon Rd, Hyrum, UT 84319
Every year around the second week of December (check the website for exact dates) they have an Elk Festival to celebrate the return of the Elk. I want to go to this next year! It sounds like so much fun. they have “fun and free family activities in addition to the regular sleigh rides and visitor center. Activities will include fish printing, wildlife Christmas ornament crafting and more.”
For those of you wanting to go experience the Elk, here are the dates, times and prices:
The 2016–2017 elk-viewing season at Hardware Ranch will run from Dec. 9, 2016 until Feb. 27, 2017. Gather the kids and bundle up!
|Friday||Noon to 4:30 p.m.|
|Saturday||10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.|
|Sunday||10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.|
|Monday||Noon to 4:30 p.m.|
- Adults (9 and older) — $5
- Children (4 through 8) — $3
- Children 3 and younger ride for free.
Ticket sales for rides will close promptly at 4:30 p.m. You must have your ticket purchased and be in the sleigh line by 4:30 p.m. There is no food or fuel sold at the ranch.
They are closed every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. They are also closed on Christmas day. You can pay with cash or card, but they recommend having cash on hand in case the card reader isn’t working.
Here are some tips for you, before you head out, so you can have the best experience possible.
- It is COLD! Dress very warm from head to toe. We waited about an hour in line before we got our ride and you wait outside, the ride it outside and parking is outside. If the weather is questionable, you will probably have to walk up the snowy hill to get to the visitors center. The visitors center is cool, so if you don’t mind waiting longer, everyone should go see it.
- Unless everyone has to go potty, I would recommend leaving at least one person behind to wait in the line and send someone to go buy the tickets.
- The only bathroom us located up at the visitor center. My son ended up having to go potty, even after we had them go when we were at the visitors center. My husband hiked back up the hill with him while I waited in line with the other kids.
- Take a camera, camcorder and make sure your phone is charged (maybe a portable battery charger too). It is such a fun, unique experience.
I would love to hear about your experience if you have gone, or if you decide to go. The canyon is beautiful so enjoy the view on your way up and back.
Learn more about Hardware Ranch on their website at https://wildlife.utah.gov/hardwareranch
Have you been to visit Hardware Ranch? What did you think?