Does your family enjoy Rice Krispies treats? These Surprise Pumpkin Treats is a fun way to make them to get into the holiday spirit! You can use any gooey, easy to bite through candy to mold the pumpkin around. You can dye the rice krispies any color and make them into all kinds of different things like cats, witches, bats, ghosts, monsters, etc. Either way, you can eat them right away, keep them in an air tight container (so they don’t get hard) or wrap them individually in Halloween treat bags and hand them out for trick or treats, parties, and more.
Halloween Rice Krispies Surprise Pumpkin Treats
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 package (10 oz., about 40)Marshmallows – OR – 4 cups Miniature Marshmallows
- Orange food coloring
- 6 cups rice krispies cereal
- 12 miniature candy bars or Hershey’s kisses
- Canned white frosting (dyed green)
- 12 small green gum drops
- In large saucepan melt butter over low heat.
- Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted.
- Remove from heat.
- Tint with orange food coloring.
- Add rice krispies cereal.
- Stir until well coated.
- Using 1/2-cup measuring cup coated with cooking spray divide warm cereal mixture into 12 portions.
- Using buttered hands shape each portion into pumpkin shape around one candy piece.
- Pipe frosting onto each for vines and attach gumdrop for stem.
- Best if served the same day, or wrap in treat bags to hand out as party favors!
MICROWAVE DIRECTIONS: In microwave-safe bowl heat butter and marshmallows on HIGH for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Follow steps 2 and 3 above. Microwave cooking times may vary.