Here is what you will need to know to get started shopping at Walgreens:
WALGREENS CORPORATE COUPON POLICY
Walgreens has a Corporate Coupon Policy that you will want to print out and take with you every time you shop. Read over it and become familiar with it so you know where items are listed if a problem should arise.
One of the benefits of shopping at Walgreens is that they offer Register Rewards (a.k.a. Catalina Coupons). What are Register Rewards? They are manufacturer coupons that print out when you a participating item. These Register Rewards are what make the good deals great, and how you can save lots of money buy combining them with your coupons! You have to buy a participating product, and then the Register Reward prints out of the Catalina Machine when your receipt prints. Register Reward deals are not always advertised in the weekly ads or in-store, so make sure you reward prints out if you do a deal that is not advertised.
How do you use Register Rewards?
One of the most important rules to shopping at Walgreens is to know how Register Rewards work! This can seem confusing and you will have to experience in person to be able to fully understand how everything works.
- Rule 1: You can only use ONE register reward per item.
- For example: If you purchasing 5 items, you can use any combination of manufactures coupons (from your newspaper or Internet, etc) and register rewards. If you have 5 manufactures coupons for all 5 items that you are buying, and you still have register rewards that you want to use to bring your out of pocket cost down, then you will have to buy extra items (I call these fillers) to add to your purchase that you can buy without using coupons. Fillers are inexpensive items that will allow you to apply more coupons at checkout. What are good fillers items? Clearance items, candy, pencils, etc.
- Rule 2: Walgreens Coupons (in-ad coupons, the monthly coupon booklet, etc) do NOT count towards your coupon to item ratio as talked about above. These do not have to be taken into account when thinking about getting filler items.
- Rule 3: Do NOT purchase more than one item per transaction that is giving a Register Reward.
- For example: Bodywash is on sale for $4 and you will get a $3 Register reward at checkout. You want to buy two of them. If you were to buy them both in the same transaction, you would only get one register reward. You have to do two transactions, in order to get both register rewards.
- IMPORTANT: Do not use the register reward from the first transaction to pay for that same item in the second transaction, or you will NOT get another reward! This means that they do not “roll”.
- One great thing to do is to find several items that are offering register rewards, and alternate transactions. Put a group of items together and buy them, get back your register rewards. Put a different group of items together and buy them in a second transaction, and use your register rewards from the first transaction to pay for them, and get new register rewards from your second transaction. Then buy the same group of items you bought in transaction 1 and use the register rewards from transaction 2 to pay for them. Then you will get new register rewards from transaction 3 to use on your next visit. This is called alternating transactions so you can use your register rewards to help lower your out of pocket cost.
- If your RR (register reward) does not print, make sure the machine is on (look for the blinking green light) and that you bough exactly what you were supposed to, to get the reward. If you were supposed to get a reward that did not print, talk to the manager, or have the items checked. (sometimes the machine isn’t always printing the deal). You can also call the Catalina company directly if the store won’t help you resolve your problem. You can reach Catalina at 1-888-8coupon. (make sure you have your receipt in hand and they will review your transaction. If you should have received a RR you will get it within a couple weeks).WALGREENS COUPONS
OTHER HELPFUL TIPS
Learning how to use coupons correctly at Walgreens will help ensure that you have a great experience and a smooth transaction. They periodically put booklets out with coupons in them, and every month there is a new coupon booklet at the front of the store by the ads. Always check www.utahcoupondeals.com for the latest updates on the deals and coupons available.
When you have a combination of Walgreens coupons and Manufacture coupons that you are using, ALWAYS hand over the manufacturer coupons FIRST and then the Walgreens store coupons! Why do you need to do this? By handing over your manufacturer coupons first, you are making sure that the full amount of those coupons comes off. The Walgreens store coupon will come off, even if it makes the item free or gives you overage for the item. Bu handing over the manufactures coupons first, you will ensure that you won’t have any beeps and you will get the overage if any applied to your order.
If you plan to do multiple transactions (as described above), let the cashier know, and they will most likely call a second cashier, or send you to the cosmetics counter where you will have time to do all the transactions and the cashier can handle all the coupons that you will most likely use! Always ask the cashier at the cosmetics counter if they have any extra coupons or coupon booklets. They often have a huge stash of coupons and even FREE stuff!
If Walgreens is out of an item that you want, get a Rain Check! They are good for in-store purchases only and are valid for 30 days. Make sure to check your coupon to see when they expire so you don’t miss out.
Buy One, Get One Free Items: These are pretty close to the best deal you can get on anything. Many people don’t know this, but when an item is on sale for BOGO Free, you can take your BOGO free coupon (if it matches that item) and get TWO ITEMS FOR FREE! all you have to pay is sales tax. How awesome is that? How does this work you ask? It is because the BOGO Free coupon is worth the specified amount. So when you give them this coupon, it is essentially the same as handing them the specified amount in cash. So you are therefore, paying for the 1st item with the coupon, then you get the free item, Free!
Keep your eyes peeled for clearance tags! There are two kinds of clearance tags: orange and yellow. The orange tags are issued from the corporate office, and you can find them at any Walgreens store. The yellow tags are specific to each individual store. You can often pair up clearance items with Walgreens and/or manufacturer coupons and score items for FREE!
If you have an issue with a cashier, ask to speak with the store manager. If you are unable to resolve the issue with the manager, note the manager’s name and the time the incident occurred and then call Customer Service. The phone number is 1-800-WALGREENS or 1-800-925-4733 or you can click here to send an email. You can always write a letter as well:Walgreen’s Corporate Office 200 Wilmot Road Deerfield, IL 60015