Me and my family, and my sister-in-law and her family all went out to the Great Salt Lake for some swimming fun! (We went on the Tuesday before and didn’t know what to expect, so we went back the next week, knowing what we needed…and it was great! It was a little ways to hike out to the water, (not too bad though) but it was so fun being out there.
Great Salt Lake
The water was not to warm and not to cold, and there was places on the beach for the kids to play and dig in the sand! The best part about this, is that its all FREE! Free to get in, free to park, and if you go before 5pm you can park in the parking lot (closer to the beach), otherwise just park out on the street so you are not locked in. This is a beautiful place to take pictures AND the kids just have a ball, because of all the Salt in the water they float a lot better, so it was fun for them practicing their swimming! The beach that we went to is located just on the east side of the Great Salt Lake Marina…here is a picture:
(image from Google Maps)
For detailed directions of how to get there, just go to Google Maps here and add your beginning location…easy enough.
Items I recommend taking:
- Sandals (NO tennis shoes if you plan on getting your feet wet at all…)
- Camping style chairs if you are going to be with kids wanting to play on the beach (you won’t want to sit on the ground…)
- buckets and shovels for kids
- WATER (we went through a 1 gallon jug, in about 1 hour) its hot!
- Towels to sit on in your car on the way home