I wanted to do something special for some friends of mine and I thought of things over for a week. This idea is what I came up with, although it is simple, I think it turned out great and looks very festive. A homemade Christmas Treat Gifts Jar! I originally had planned on using measuring cups (glass Pyrex Measuring Cups) and putting a bag of goodies inside with ribbons tying it off, but for the sake of wanting to re-purpose the glass jars I save (pasta sauce, pickles, etc) and also saving money, I decided to use our glass jars to make these. I think they turned out great. Super easy to make and a fun family activity.
- First, take the paper and measure how wide you need to trim it. I used a 12×12 paper and a Fiskars Paper Trimmer. Once the paper is cut, wrapped it around the jar and used glue stick to stick the ends together, and then put a strip of tape over the seam to ensure that it wouldn’t slip or come open.
- Second you will take tissue paper (preferably heavy duty or two sheets) and wrap it around the lid, make sure that it is a little loose and then tape the pieces together on the inside. I added a sticker to the top of the jar.
- Third, cut several curling ribbons to about 18-24 inches and wrap them around the top neck of the jar and tie them in a knot. Once secured, you can use the edge of the scissors to curl the ribbon.
- Last, I printed out a nativity scence and glued it to 3″ circle. Then I strung it around the neck of the jar with a ribbon and curled the ends of the ribbon on that too.
Inside of the jar are Chex Muddy Buddies:
Chex Muddy Buddies Recipe:
Prep Time:15 min
Start to Finish:15 min
Makes:18 servings (1/2 cup each)
- 9 cups Rice Chex®, Corn Chex® or Chocolate Chex® cereal (or combination)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Into large bowl, measure cereal; set aside.
- In 1-quart microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter uncovered on High 1 minute; stir. Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in vanilla. Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Pour into 2-gallon resealable food-storage plastic bag.
- Add powdered sugar. Seal bag; shake until well coated. Spread on waxed paper to cool. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.