I am going to share a little secret with you about myself that I don’t like to admit but I know is true. I am terrible at deep cleaning my house. I do pretty well at keeping it picked up, vacuuming and washing the workable areas like counters and tables, but really scrubbing is something I hate. One of my goals this year is to become more organized with my cleaning routine so that I can deep clean a room in my house a week and rotate that so that my house stays cleaner. This week I want to do the bathroom. My four kids alone are enough of a whirlwind to necessitate me having to clean everyday – but it seems like not matter what I do, there is always something in the bathroom that needs to be picked up, put away or scrubbed. Ever feel that way? I have created a Complete Bathroom Cleaning Checklist printable that has helped a lot.
We have two bathrooms in our house and I
want need to keep them both clean (blah) so I referred back to a really great bathroom cleaner that you can make, that works great and helps me get done quicker. To make your own bathroom cleaner you are going to mix Vinegar, Baking Soda, and Blue Dawn.
- 1 2/3 cups baking soda
- 1/2 cup liquid soap
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 clean 16-ounce squirt bottle with closing cap
- Mix the baking soda and liquid soap in a bowl
- Add the water and vinegar then stir.
- Make sure all lumps are dissolved
- Pour the liquid into bottle. Shake well before each use.
You can more bathroom cleaner recipes here. She has a lot of different ones for different parts of your bathroom, but they all clean well. Now you have your bathroom cleaner grab some newspaper, papertowels, a toothbrush, and a couple of rags and a pair of cleaning gloves. (you can get a basket at the dollar store to keep your cleaning supplies in under your counter. Print off our free Printable Bathroom Cleaning Checklist, laminate it, and you will be ready to go.
Here is what I have found that works best for my bathroom cleaning routine (this is a deep clean):
- Pick up everything from off the counters, floors, and shower and put them where they go.
- Move everything off of the counter and toilet and shower and spray it down with your homemade bathroom cleaner or your preference.
- While that is soaking, you will spray your mirrors and wipe them with the newspaper to avoid streaking.
- Rinse your rag in as hot of water you can stand without burning yourself, wring the rag well and then start wiping all surfaces. Rinse rag periodically and wring it out. The hot water helps clean better.
- Use the toothbrush around the faucet where you get that gritty buildup and in the drain area.
- If your toilet has a ring in the bowl, you can use a pumice stone to scrub it and it will come right off. Love this!
- Cleaning around the base of the toilet can be gross (especially if you have boys in the house lol). Wiping this regularly will help keep it easier to clean. The disinfecting wipes are perfect for this, just do it once right before bed time and it will look so much better.
- To get calcium, lime, or rust out of your shower/tub you can do a few different things. CLR is a great cleaner, but you can also make your own just using vinegar, baking soda and blue Dawn to get rid of the buildup and stains for a clean looking shower and bathroom.
- The floor gets pretty dirty in our house mostly because of shoes and dirty kids. One thing that might help is to vacuum or sweep it first to pick up all of the hair before you wipe it. I actually do this with most of the surfaces in my bathroom before I spray it all down, because we have four girls in our house and there is always hair everywhere.
- Dust your bathroom décor and the ceiling fan if you have one. Wash the window if you have one, the curtains, rugs, etc. Then mop the floor.
- Wash the cabinets and clean the fixtures.
Be sure to periodically clean out your drawers and under the cabinets and wash down the walls and ceiling. Here are some fun signs you can put in your bathroom that made me giggle.
I would love to hear your tips and tricks to cleaning the bathroom and how you keep it clean.