Thanksgiving is a great time of year, no doubt. For those of us who are in charge or are being hosts, it can get a little stressful and overwhelming. This series is 14 days to an easy Thanksgiving and it will walk you through the 14 days before Thanksgiving and what you can do to get ready each day, just a little project or task that will make your Thanksgiving day EASY! Most of the things are great family time ideas and things your kids can help with too!
DAY 4 – SHOPPING DAY (Get your Turkey or Ham)
This may just be my favorite part of the 14 Days to an Easy Thanksgiving series. With all of the great sales and coupons that have come out this time of year, you can should be able to mark quite a few things off of your shopping list for a huge discount! If you find really great deals be sure to get extras to stock up your pantry.
Here are some things to keep in mind while you are shopping for your Thanksgiving items:
- If this the best price you can get?
- You can see our store matchups here, and check the coupon database for coupons. Also be sure to use the stockpile price sheet.
- Can you MAKE it cheaper?
- You can get a box of Graham crackers and make a whole lot of pie crusts for about the same price as ONE pie crust at the store. Just an example 🙂
- Can you BUY it cheaper than you can make it?
- Heinz Gravy for $0.44 a bottle and Whip Cream for $0.39 are great ways to save money and time when it comes down to the little things.
- Do you have something else that you could substitute for?
- If you are baking pies and need an ingredient, I bet that there is a substitution for it in your pantry or fridge! You would be surprise what you can substitute for each other in recipes.
- Be sure to compare prices by the Ounce.
- How much are you paying per ounce of what you are buying? This is the best way to see if you are getting the lowest price.
- You don’t have to buy it all at once.
- You can do your shopping over the next week or so and see if you can get better deals on things when the sales change. Don’t feel like you have to do it all at once. You will want to make another trip later in the week anyways, just to make sure you got everything.
- Get your turkey or ham now so that you can get the one you want and make sure you have it!
Here is a great way to help you organize what you are going to buy and what you need. You can write down the FOOD, QUANTITY, COUPON (if you have one), AND PRICE (this is great to know for your stockpile).
There is also a notes area where you write down other things. Keeping track of what you need and how much you are paying will help a lot.
What tips do you have for shopping for your Thanksgiving Dinner items?
If you missed a day, you can catch up here: