This post was sponsored on behalf of Net Nanny via One2One Network. All opinions stated are my own. I am talking about 10 ways to keep your kids safe online.
For many (or all) of you that have kids that are old enough to sit up on their own, then I am sure that they have at one point or another played on a tablet, phone, etc. As kids get older they like to have their own stuff – and since pretty much everything has access to the internet now, you start to wonder “are my kids safe online?” I have four kids ages 4-11, and my 11 year old has her own phone because she is active in sports and music and I need to be able to get a hold of her after practices, etc. It also gives me peace of mind when she is with friends, knowing she can contact me when she needs to. I trust my kids, but things happen, and I want to know they are safe online.
All of my kids have tablets, and all of my kids know how to get on a computer and play games online (like Disney, Nick Jr, etc). I am not so concerned about them looking for things they shouldn’t be, but I am concerned about things inadvertently popping up. Even I have been exposed to garbage online while looking for something I would have considered harmless, so I realized I needed something that could keep not only my kids safe on the computer, but also their tablets and phones. As I was researching this, I came across a great company called Net Nanny. When you sign up, you are able to block pornography, mask profanity, set time management, have a filter, setup alerts and more. This is so perfect! They have several plans that are affordable depending on how many devices you want protected. There is even a remote management feature that lets you login to your account from anywhere. But one of my favorite features is the Social Media Monitoring. This helps protects the kids from cyber bullies, predators, privacy concerns, pictures and more. You can learn more about everything Net Nanny and get 30% off when you sign up with promocode LOVEBUGS30 good through March 31, 2016.
I want to share with you 10 ways to keep your kids safe online so that you can make sure they are not exposed or susceptible to things you don’t want them to see.
- Keep tabs on your kids, check their phones and tablets regularly for anything that is new or unusual.
- Talk to them about being safe online and what it means. Set expectations and ground rules.
- Limit the amount of time they spend on electronic devices
- Setup a program like Net Nanny to help filter and monitor your kids’ activity
- Keep your computer(s) in open spaces in family living spaces. Not in a closed bedroom or in a place where it is quiet.
- Have a purpose when the kids get online – and don’t let them just have free rule of what they are doing
- When using social media – warn your kids about hashtags. A lot of people are hijacking them with pornographic content. So don’t click on hashtags.
- Make sure that your kids are looking at age appropriate things. Keep them off of social media until they are at least 12, and try to stay away from image searches without a parent.
- Monitor their use of sites like YouTube. While there are a lot of great things to see, there are a lot of bad ones as well.
- Be vigilant and dedicated and understanding. Talk to your kids and encourage them to talk to you about questions they have so they don’t go searching for the answers (literally).
These are just some of the things you can do to keep your kids safe online. With so much technology around, it can be tricky, be being dedicated and setting up something like Net Nanny to be there when you can’t, will give you a little peace of mind.
Net Nanny is available for Windows, Mac OS, Android and iOS. Get all the amazing features of the #1 rated parental controls software—on the go! Net Nanny just released a brand new iOS update in the App Store. It’s available exclusively as part of a Net Nanny Family Protection Pass and lets children of all ages safely browse the web on iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch.
What ways do you keep your kids safe online?