Having kids in sports is a lot of fun, but it is a lot of work. They spend a lot of time working hard to get better at what they are doing and so as a mom, I want to make sure they are being taken care of. In order for them to be successful, they have to not only work hard and develop the talents they need to play well, but also to be physically and mentally strong. I have three kids in softball/baseball this spring and another one doing dance. They all want to be their best, so I am always looking for ways to help them succeed and do their best. From a good diet and exercise, to making sure they are getting enough sleep and having fun at what they are doing – there are so many different ways parents can help. I played sports growing up – softball, volleyball and a few other things, but basketball was my love. I practiced 3-4 hours a day from when I was about 12 until I graduated high school, and my parents were my rock during these years always standing beside me. I still love basketball to this day and enjoy it whenever I can. My husband played sports as well and so we both know the importance of having good supportive parents.
I want to share 10 ways to help your kids succeed at sports:
- Make sure they get enough sleep regularly, and especially before games
- Encourage them to drink lots of water and cut back on sugary drinks and soda
- Help them eat a balanced diet
- Stock up on fresh fruits and veggies and other nutritious foods for snacks
- Make sure they fuel up before a game (my kids love to have a glass of TruMoo Chocolate Milk)
- Be encouraging and positive whenever you are helping them
- Make sure they have the right equipment for the sport they are playing so they can be confident and play well
- Practice with them so they can get better
- Let them know that winning isn’t everything, but doing their best and working hard
- Encourage them to have good sportsmanship and to smile and have fun
These are just some of the ways you can help your kids succeed in sports. Remember to make it fun and help them do their best. Pre and Post game routine is important. My kids love having TruMoo Chocolate Milk right before a game and afterwards when they are winding down. Because it as NO artificial growth hormones*, NO high fructose corn syrup and a delicious taste kids love. That is another reason that we get DairyPure brand milk. It is the only brand of milk backed by the exclusive 5-Point Purity Promise. My kids love the taste and I know that it is good for them.
*No significant difference has been shown between milk derived from cows treated with the artificial growth hormone rbST and non-rbST-treated cows.
What do you do to help your kids succeed at sports?
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.